My CINEFILIPINO Replay Experience

© UP FPS

"Hi, I'm Ace. I'm from Los Banos, Laguna and I traveled here just to watch the movie since I wasn't able to watch it during the premiere." I introduced and the crowd unexpectedly applauded, so did Sir Rod Marmol (Writer & Director), Aaron Villaflor (Cast), and Carl Adrian Chaves (Producer) who were on stage.

There was a Q&A with the cast and crew of the movie and I took the opportunity to ask some questions.
“MATA TAPANG”, a finalist in the Cinefilipino Film Festival 2018. Written and directed by Rod Marmol. The film portrays a soldier’s story of healing and how losing an eye in the war forces him to open a third eye that allows him to see the spirits of his fallen comrades, and in the end, the gray areas of life, love, and everything in between.
I was very happy to learn that UPFI Film Producers Society would be presenting CineFilipino: Replay! a chance to (re)watch the original and quality movies presented last CineFilipino Film Festival 2018 (May 9-15) and Mata Tapang is one of them.


I told myself I wouldn't miss the chance and definitely go to the screening this time as I missed it last summer - having reserved tickets and later found out that there would me 'meet and greet' with the cast and crew as announced in Mata Tapang's official FB page before the July 14 screening at UPFI Cine Adarna @ UP Diliman which got me more excited to come.


And there I watched and... cried. I didn't expect that it would pierce through my heart that deep despite knowing Rod Marmol's ability to touch one's soul through his works (author of Lahat Tayo May Period; creator of Utot Catalog)

"I think it would be unfair because everything is my favorite. And for the record, I think this is the first film that made me cry in the cinema." I revealed when asked by a Cignal TV interviewer right after I got out of the movie house about my experience and what my favorite part was. And yes, for the record, it was my first time to be approached by a camera and to be asked for my feedback re the movie I just watched. That's absolutely unforgettable. 

Lakas (ko) maka-promdiI am not used to any of that. Although it wasn't my first time to experience a Q&A with the cast and crew after the movie (My Patay na si Hesus Experience), it was indeed my first time to actually participate, stand, speak, and ask a question to them. This time, I braved myself to grab the mic because why not? CARPE DIEM!!!
(Even the cinema was damn cold and I was shaking to the extent it numbed my body the moment I raised my hand, grabbed the mic, and stood up. Of course, I have rehearsed how I would introduce myself, the things I would say, and what kind of questions I would ask in my head to prevent stuttering because you know - mics always give me jitters.)

And so I spoke (verbatim) "Hi, I'm Ace. I'm from Los Banos, Laguna and I traveled here just to watch the movie since I wasn't able to watch it during the premiere. /pause; audience applauded/ Uhh to the cast, what's....the toughest...challenge...that you experienced [in doing the movie] and what's your favorite scene?"

So Aaron Villaflor was handed a mic. "Chris? Chris, right?" he asked. "Ace, sir!" I tried to clarify although Sir Carl, the producer and the man sitting beside him, seemed to correct Aaron. "Ace? Alas?" and I nod and said yes. (I was honestly flattered by the notion of his mistake and analogy. Nice one! Ganoon pala ang pakiramdam. And by the way, I was on my seat in the middle of the massive cinema and the stage is a bit far) Then he started answering and sharing his experience with the crowd.

It was a bit long for it was his first response despite being the second question asked from the crowd; the first one was referred to Sir Rod about the inspiration of the movie and I learned that it is inspired from his own father who was a soldier deployed in Mindanao. I had thought of the same question because I wondered saan hinigot ni Rod Marmol yung theme ng pelikula - BROTHERHOOD BETWEEN SOLDIERS,  but then it was already asked by the first one.

As soon as Aaron ended his speech, I concluded my time with the mic by acknowledging the mastermind of the movie, "And... to Sir Rod...I salute you, Sir! Thank you." And to my surprise, he gave me a hand salute as he thanked me too. (WHAT AN EXPERIENCE, RIGHT?!!)

Another series of questions were asked by others but were limited due to time constraints. So we were just asked to meet and ask them further questions outside the cinema (hindi ako makapaniwala sa part na 'to! HAHAHAHAHA!) 
I realized we were asked to leave because the next screening of another movie was about to start so we slowly left as people were taking pictures with the cast and crew. Too bad, I currently don't have any device to capture the moment but I'll make sure its memory will last.

Guess what? I waited. I waited for them to reach the exit as I planned to greet them and - I did.
Hi, Sir! (We shook hands, I hope he recognized that I was one of the audience who asked) I just want to thank you for an awesome film. (And this is where I said:) I'm actually a film student here in Diliman (or something like that. LOL! And I have received words I would treasure forever despite the simplicity and his very casual and friendly approach to me)
WHAT AN ENCOUNTER, I thought!!!
But wait there's more. Here comes Aaron Villaflor:
Hi,Sir! (I said as I approach to shake hands with him.) I just want to thank you for the movie. (And this is where he said:) Chris, right? Chris? (I couldn't help but laugh and correct him once more. I'm not sure if he's really forgotten it the second time or he's just fooling around. HAHAHAHA! He also thanked me for watching.)
That's it! That's my unexpected yet unforgettable experience. UnfBut I haven't really shared anything about the movie itself at all, have I? Let me offer you no summary but things I realized after watching BRAVE EYE.
Mata Tapang is a movie that will make you feel alive and make you appreciate life. No incompleteness of an eye or any body part can blind you or conceal you from the fulfillment of having a solid brotherhood among your friends. "Walang Iwanan! Ika nga." Salute to all the soldiers and indispensable friendship!



At last, I come to realize that the success of a movie isn't just and shouldn't only be boxed with the awards it claimed, the recognition it garnered, and profit it has made, but should account the triumphant delivery of message it aimed for the audience to earn.

---

BONUS

I got to watch Mga Mister ni Rosario, another finalist that won Best Screenplay in CineFilipino Film Festival 2018, prior as I arrived earlier than my 4:30pm Mata Tapang screening.
How far will you go for art’s sake? Yogi Juan, Philippine Showbiz’s Golden Boy, takes every role seriously. His devoted housewife Sari supports him and role-plays along. But when Sari learns that Yogi’s upcoming role is a serial killer, can she revise the morbid fate that awaits her?
Honestly, I wasn't impressed by the trailer for this movie but having finally watched it totally wronged me. The quality of this film, in matters of technicality and story concept and its twist, is something to be proud of as a film enthusiast. Although it may not be as substantive and critical as others with its theme, it has its own element that won the movie the best screenplay!

The movie simply taught me that you ought to have someone who loves every version of you - the good and the bad; the best and the worst; and the make-believe and the real you.


You don't have to be true, you just have to be good. -Sari over his husband's demeanor
---
Makashake hands si Rod Marmol. Makausap si Arron Villaflor. Mainterview ng Cignal TV. Doesn't my journey get any better?!
I can't help but notice how casual it is in Cine Adarna to have movie cast and crews and cameras stroll around while having a crowd acting so calmly. Like it is the norm there, isn't it? I felt but not acted like I was so promdi who was so overjoyed by such instances. It is indeed overwhelming for me after all but I suppose I should get used to it if I am to study there and make it a home for years to come.

---

There's a raffle before every movie starts where 5 lucky tickets would be drawn; though I had no luck in winning gift packs from Cignal Tv And Honda. :( Ha^4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiwala

The Historical Origin and Cultural Implications of Bañamos Festival of Los Baños, Laguna

Pabula: Ang Dalawang Magkaibigang Daga

Emerging Filipino Indie Genre in the Philippine National Cinema

Pagsulat sa Filipino - Lakbay-Sanaysay

Torpe

Bar Boys (2017): A Movie Review

Pagpapayaman sa Kultura at Wikang Filipino

Alter 100 [8/12]

Wala ka pa sa realidad #01