Citizenship Training

I find it interesting that people have different outlooks on citizenship and identity. Their perspectives prove that despite having one ‘nationality’, Filipinos may have some differences with regard their values and beliefs. However, there is still a common concept between them—the love and respect for ‘nation’ and its people. Some of their responses also give attention to individual and collective circumstances respectively. One focuses on individual actions that materially contribute to the nation, the other on active participation that essentially shapes the future. But both give value to small gestures to prove one’s good citizenship.

Am I proud to be a Filipino? Sometimes, I am not sure because of the appalling attitude and behavior my countrymen manifest like our crab mentality. In spite of such toxic characteristics, I think what makes a Filipino really a Filipino is resiliency. Our history has made us resilient that such quality has been embedded in our blood. We don’t easily give up. We recover and persist in times of crisis.

Conversely, as I recognize this common attribute among Filipinos, there are still cultural differences because of regional ethnicity, let alone the geographical distance between us. I learned to identify myself as Tagalog and understood that my historical experiences may vary from that of Cebuano or Igorot. Such diversity also caused some issues in terms of social policies that may disregard or prioritize a certain group or minority which then imply the unequal treatment characterized by a hierarchal social structure. In general, I experience issues of discrimination in my consumption of media. I couldn’t help but feel for Filipinos who are discriminated against due to their accent or skin color because I am too a Filipino.

For citizenship, I echo the responses of the people I interviewed. A good Filipino citizen exercises their rights and duties as a proud Filipino. And I think I will serve as an example; I will continue being responsible in what I do: from following traffic regulations to preventing littering. I will exercise my rights and fight for them. I will express my grievances so that improvements can be made, and situations be alleviated. These are some of the things we can do every day to prove that we are good Filipino citizens.

The module has provided me valuable insights especially about politics: how people participate, contribute, and even harm the nation’s progress. It also made me critical of my own practices and beliefs as I may have a prejudice towards people who perpetuate extreme ideologies on nationalism. I realized that these people are only victims of the system that does not value proper education and that I am privileged that I am taught the nuances of such ideology or notion of love for the country. The module made me realize what intelligent citizenship is and hope for Filipinos to become ‘better’ citizens. Intelligent citizenship is critical and respectful. It recognizes the importance of democracy and advocates for it through active participation in society. This is one of the main roles that a Filipino citizen should take. However, I would like to acknowledge that Filipino citizens can only take such a role only if there are no forces keeping them from doing so. That is why a Filipino citizen’s role is one with the struggle to fight for freedom and justice against the powers that be. And finally, the module reaffirms my purpose as iskolar ng bayan, para sa bayan.

15 November 2021  
National Service Training Program
MODULE: Citizenship Training

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiwala

The Historical Origin and Cultural Implications of Bañamos Festival of Los Baños, Laguna

Pabula: Ang Dalawang Magkaibigang Daga

Pagsulat sa Filipino - Lakbay-Sanaysay

Kalamidad Paghandaan; Gutom at Malnutrisyon Agapan

Bar Boys (2017): A Movie Review

Alter 100 [8/12]

Torpe

Alter 100 [2/12]

To the girl who caught my attention,