Wala ka pa sa realidad #03: A GUIDE TO FIRST TIME JOB SEEKER ACT

Republic Act No. 11261

Full Title 

AN ACT WAIVING GOVERNMENT FEES AND CHARGES IN THE ISSUANCE OF DOCUMENTS REQUIRED IN THE APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT OF FIRST TIME JOBSEEKERS.

Short Title 

FIRST TIME JOBSEEKERS ASSISTANCE ACT

--

Another trip down memory lane of a fresh graduate in 2023. For this episode of WKPSR, I reminisce my experience in utilizing this law: how I enjoyed the "privilege" (well, it's a right or "incentive") and got stressed over the (mis)interpretation of one concerned government agencies in its implementation. 

You can read the law here and its IRR or stay as I'll talk about it, explain what it means for fresh grads, what it entails, and how to actually avail its benefits. I will also share a cautionary tale when or if a government agency tries to manipulate you in giving up the perks you deserve because they did not know any better! More #lifehacks along the way and personal tips in the end.

WHAT IS THE LAW?

Basically, it waives the fees and charges that one has to pay to obtain government documents that are usually part of the job requirements. It is signed as a law in 2019 intended to improve first time jobseeker's access to employment.

WHO CAN AVAIL THIS INCENTIVE?

Filipino fresh graduates or first-time job seekers (or FTJS hereinafter) are eligible, but you need a proof of eligibility.

According to the IRR, aside from fresh grads, other eligible are out of school youth, those who are on leave of absence from studying, and working students as long as you're actively seeking employment for the first time. 

HOW TO GET PROOF OF ELIGIBILITY?

Just visit your barangay hall where you reside (at least 6 months) and request for BARANGAY CERTIFICATION or clearance. It is free and you'll have it on the same day!

At the information desk (or window), state that you're a first-time job seeker and want to request a barangay certification or clearance. 

Bring your SCHOOL ID (if you don't have your college diploma yet) and know your address (purok, street) or identification that the barangay staff can use to check. 

They will also hand out a form: the oath of undertaking where you will fill in your information and sign.

They will process it and give you the certification right away—at least in my experience of less than 30 minutes. Once you have it—one-page document for the certificate and another one for the oath of undertaking—ensure that it has the barangay letterhead, signature of the barangay captain, and official dry seal. 

You can only avail this ONCE and it is valid for ONE YEAR only.

Have both papers photocopied right away if you can and have at least 5 sets; the pair stapled together. Keep it in your folder or secured envelope. I recommend using a clear book or plastic portfolio (like this one) to keep all your documents because it will quickly pile up as you start this journey. Having the clear book #lifehack is convenient in storing documents crease-free and re-viewing them as you can easily turn the pages and see them transparently. 

WHAT ARE THE COVERED GOVERMENTAL TRANSACTIONS?

  • Barangay certification and clearance for First Time Jobseekers 
  • - Police clearance issued by the local or national PNP office 
  • - NBI clearance 
  • - Medical certificate from public hospitals, except for laboratory tests and other 
  • medical procedures that are required in the grant of a medical certificate 
  • - Birth and marriage certificate issued by PSA. 
  • - Transcript of academic records, and/or certificate of graduation/completion, 
  • and/or diploma, issued by state colleges and universities and local universities 
  • and colleges 
  • - Taxpayer's Identification Number (TIN) issued by the BIR; and 
  • - Other documentary requirements, such as:
    • CSC Certificate of Eligibility
    • PhilHealth ID
    • POEA Certificates
    • Mayor's Clearance issued by Business Processing and Licensing Office
    • MARINA Certificates
    • TESDA National Certificates and Certificates of Competencies for those who actually underwent the process of TESDA's Competency Assessment
  • Other issued by the government agencies that may be required by employers from job applicants. 


I did not avail all as I didn't need to at the time, so I'll just share my experience on each one that I did and add some notes on the others. We already covered the barangay clearance or proof of eligibility. Always bring it along with your ID as prerequisite in all FTJS transactions. 

Prepare 2 valid IDs. Ideally, you have a passport as I believe it's the most common or strongest one. Otherwise, school ID shall suffice. Also, have photocopies of your IDs. 

POLICE CLEARANCE

I found out that the process has been online. Another #lifehack would be: always check online / ask Google before you physically visit any office and risk no walk-ins.

Here's the website https://pnpclearance.ph/ and here's a guide that I found that is straightforward and easy to understand; I won't detail the specific process anymore.

Step 1:  Online Registration

Step 2: Complete Profile and Appointment Setting

Step 3: Settle Online Payment (Tick the first time job seeker for exemption)

Step 4: Processing of Police Clearance at the Police Station

If I remember correctly, the process may take a week or two, depending on the available slots in your preferred police station. 

Don't forget your barangay certificate, ID, and reference number of your appointment when you finally attend your schedule.

For faster transaction, immediately state your purpose when you arrive at the station. Follow the directions, ensure you're on the correct line, and wait til your turn. They will ask to see your barangay certification then capture your photo, your signature, and fingerprints. 

Once they give you the clearance—a printed document, double check all information and spellings. Only leave once all is well. 

If able, have it photocopied at least twice AND scanned. Save the soft copy for your job applications. Keep the document in your portfolio along with your barangay certificate. 

NBI CLEARANCE


Like the police clearance, you need to set an online appointment first for your NBI clearance. 

Here's the website https://clearance.nbi.gov.ph/

Register as a first time job seeker. The appointment process must be familiar by now: sign up, locate the nearest office, and secure schedule. 

This is where I experienced an unfortunate incident when I finally visited the nearest office for my appointment. 

During the process, the staff tried to collect my barangay certification and not return it to me. I offered a photocopy and refused submitting the original because I knew it is the prerequisite if I am to avail other documents in other agencies. If I lose it, then I'd lose my proof of eligibility then the fees would not be waived anymore. I knew this well because I reviewed the law (read online about the processes) before I began my journey as FTJS. I have also processed my PSA birth certificate prior to this and forgot to bring the original certificate. That's when I learned that the offices need to see the original while they only collect a copy for their own records.

I was shaking and almost made a scene in that cramped satellite NBI office. Well, there was an argument between us about the provisions of the law and our own understanding. Voices were raised as they were insisting that they are only following a memo—one that they couldn't provide when I asked for it. For them, the law meant that the person can only avail ONE document ONCE for free and the barangay certification must be surrendered to them/the government, so the person stops availing the incentive in other agencies again. 

The lady staff even remarked that my generation tends to abuse the government perks granted to us—implying and justifying that one free document across agencies is enough.

Such is a twisted and ignorant way to comprehend let alone implement the law.

I left the office feeling humiliated and went home without my NBI clearance since I did not defer my position on the matter; I kept my original barangay certificate. 

So I inquired online to the concerned government agencies and raised my grievance. But their support line was too slow or too generic. I then prepared a full incident report and emailed the members of the inter-agency monitoring committee: from DOLE and PESO to DILG and NBI itself, and their secretaries/directors/heads whose emails are publicly available in their official websites.

I narrated my bad experience and sought clarifications, if not resolution. Some replied with automated responses or endorsements. Others affirmed my understanding that the law provides for ONE free document availed ONCE for EACH AGENCY, and not only one agency. Or as the NBI Information and Communication Technology Division (ICTD) replied to me, "While it is true that the benefit can only be availed ONCE in our agency, it can be availed of ONCE FOR EVERY COPY OF EACH DOCUMENT covered under the Act."

I received a clear resolution from NBI admin that I can finally collect my NBI clearance, only show AND keep the original barangay certificate WITHOUT retaliation from their staff. The DILG replied and endorsed it too late.

True enough, the NBI lady was less aggressive and even too angelic when I returned to their office to get what I needed—a totally different persona from our previous meeting. I can only imagine the reprimand they undertook to correct the staff and her understanding of the proper implementation of the law.

I even thought of a conspiracy that the agency was conducting such modus to reduce or alleviate the "foregone government revenues" to support the law, hence it was deliberately limiting the access to the incentive. Because by losing the original barangay certificate, the FTJS perks end with that NBI clearance. But it was all cleared. Aha!

I'm glad it was corrected and hope that it actually was corrected thereafter so no one will ever experience the same. In the end, my understanding of the law and its IRR was correct. To this day, I have that original barangay certificate. 

MEDICAL CERTIFICATE FROM PUBLIC HOSPITALS

I did not avail this as I did not think of it. 

Normally, the employer will require you to undergo PRE-EMPLOYMENT MEDICAL EXAMINATION or PEME. In my experience, the company has a designated healthcare provider where their employees shall take the procedure and obtain the medical certificate.

The partner clinic of my first job was private so I obviously couldn't use the government benefit. But in my experience, companies cover the PEME cost for their new employees.

PSA BIRTH CERTIFCATE 

Appointment is Required for Walk-In Please Visit https://appointment.psa.gov.ph/

^That's what the website states as of September 1, 2026. Is the copy incorrect? Missing punctuation? Don't people walk in because they didn't have appointments? And don't people set an appointment, so they aren't walking in? Quite confusing, isn't it? Though one AI says it's not contradicting, the other says it is. Whatever. 

Honestly don't remember if I walked in or set an appointment before going. Better process it online first than risking the walk-in uncertainty. 

Same familiar process: sign up as first time job seeker, locate the nearest office, and secure schedule. 

The only memorable from my experience is having to go back because I didn't bring the original barangay certification and the photocopy was not enough. So learn from my mistake. Keep everything in your portfolio and always bring it with you when you process these documents. 

TRANSCRIPT OF ACADEMIC RECORDS, AND/OR CERTIFICATE OF GRADUATION/COMPLETION, AND/OR DIPLOMA, ISSUED BY STATE COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES AND LOCAL UNIVERSITIES AND COLLEGES

I studied in a state university, and these were indeed waived during the university clearance process, provided that you're not opting out of the FTJS benefit and wish to pay the dues yourself. 

So perhaps, invoke the Act if your state university or local college did not oblige. 

TAXPAYER'S IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (TIN) ISSUED BY THE BIR

I did not avail this. Perhaps because I thought my employer will do it for me, for free. 

I only got my TIN for my second job. For some reason, the HR in my first company was not able to process my TIN. Is it because I was a probationary employee and not regular? I don't know. 

As I process my job requirements for my second employer, I applied for TIN myself. 

Here's the BIR ORUS website https://orus.bir.gov.ph/home and register under E.O. 98 / One time tax payer. Under the law, we are entitled to 1 TIN only.

---

I did not avail the remaining / other documents listed earlier but I'd assume the process would be similar. Otherwise, ask Google or consult the Citizen's charter of the respective agency for the process. 

--

FINAL TIPS

Be organized. Have a secure folder or portfolio to keep all printed documents, both original and photocopies. Centralize your files and avoid clutter.

Copy and Scan. Have multiple hard copies and soft copies of your documents since most job applications are online too. In my experience, I was asked to submit all job requirements via email. 

Sequence and Schedule. Secure Proof of Eligibility from your barangay first then set appointment online to all concerned agencies where you wish to request the document from. Strategize your schedule and consider the location of each office. 

Prerequisites. Always bring the original barangay certification and its copies because the staff needs to check the dry seal of the original then collect the photocopy only. DO NOT SURRENDER THE ORIGINAL. Always bring valid IDs too. 

The documents you obtain from one government agency may serve as a valid ID to your subsequent requests (your NBI clearance is a valid ID so you may use it if other agencies need more valid IDs than your school ID / whichever you obtain first so always keep them all in one portfolio and bring them together. Just like collecting infinity stones in one hand. chz. 

Come early. If you have already visited any government office or done any transactions, you'd know the queues are likely to be long and processing to be slow. Arrive at least 30 minutes earlier than your appointment schedule—an hour to be generous because you might spend an hour or two waiting for your turn. Not to mention the traffic you have to endure before reaching any office. 

It's very unlikely to process multiple documents in one day, so realistically allot one day per one document. Unless of course you can manage and work around the conditions of being a Filipino living in the Philippines. Chz.

--

Wala ka pa sa realidad #03
A GUIDE TO FIRST TIME JOB SEEKER ACT

1 September 2026

Wala ka pa sa realidad series is a "chronicle" of my life after college. But let me use the word "chronicle" loosely (because I can't think of a better term now) as I might share stories from different periods and not necessarily in order of when they happened—or consider them "snippets" as I reminisce or try to relive both the good and the bad: from poor government transactions as a fresh graduate to office politics that I encountered or about how I navigate living independently. Simply put—my reality—with all the mundanity and contemplations that come with it. 

The series title came from the common condescending phrase or ageist mockery by people who "knew better" than us just because they are older and we are younger. And each entry may or may not prove them. 

--
Read the series:

Wala ka pa sa realidad #01: First dat at my first job

Wala ka pa sa realidad #02: 3 years after graduation

Wala ka pa sa realidad #03: A guide to first time job seeker act

--

WHAT'S NEXT?

I'm considering writing about digital decluttering, file management/organization, renting apartments, and online freelancing. Got questions or some ideas for me? Just comment them :))


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 years in UP

DULA: Batang Bata Ka Pa

Wala ka pa sa realidad #02: 3 YEARS AFTER GRADUATION

Pagsulat sa Filipino - Lakbay-Sanaysay

The Historical Origin and Cultural Implications of Bañamos Festival of Los Baños, Laguna

Breaking the Gold: The Golden Years of Philippine Cinema

5 LESSONS OF A GEN Z: Full Speech JILS Graduation 2026

Jacqueline Comes Home (2018): Movie Review

MAIKLING KWENTO: Dugo at Tubig

Wala ka pa sa realidad #01: FIRST DAY AT MY FIRST JOB