Here Beside You

"Are you serious with this? What if we get caught?" she stated nervously while we're trying to climb up the walls using an old monoblock chair. 


"Don't worry. Just trust me," I affirmed. 

I assisted and lifted her up until we're both standing above the thick wall. I led the steps while our hands were tightly tied together. I was very careful because a wrong step could cause us to fall. 

"I would definitely kill you when something bad happens to us,” she still sound hesitant.

“You know that I would never let that to happen,” I assured. 

 I grabbed her hand tighter and pulled her closer. 

“Take a step here…be careful,” I instructed her while guiding her up to the roof. 

She took her first step and it created a loud rustle sound from the irons. We were worried whether we alarmed the neighbors inside. She gazed at me and gave me a silly grin; I gestured her to be cautious and to continue moving. I followed her step which caused another loud sound of the irons. We just chuckled silently, sharing the same naughty idea that we’re like cats playing on roofs or worse – thieves walking on rooftops.

“Where exactly are we going?” she asked. 

“Just wait,” I made her anticipate. 

We took steps until we have gotten to the point. I sat at my favorite spot; she’s still standing. I gestured my hand and tapped the space beside me - giving her my signal to join and to sit beside me. I know that she was confused that moment but she managed to smile and to look effortlessly beautiful. She eventually took the position beside me and sat likewise with mine. 

“This is where I wanted to take you,” I started. 

She smiled and jokingly said, “Do you have this habit to disturb your neighbors just to be here on their rooftop?” 

“I think so,” I innocently replied. “I just wanted to share this place with you – my favorite person in my favorite place, my favorite place with my favorite person.” 

She was evidently speechless upon hearing what I said. She then leaned to my shoulder and I didn’t move. 

“Why this? Why this place is your favorite?” she broke the silence. 

 I didn’t respond. I paused and found myself contemplating the reason why. 

“This place is my escape from everything. I always go here every time I needed to be alone and whenever I wanted to be alone. I think this could be my safe haven. I can think clearly; I can imagine freely; I can feel the isolation from the world. I appreciate solitude more than to be exposed,” I explained before I knew I was speaking my mind. 

 I slightly bent my head down to hers. 

“Am I boring you?” I asked.

 “Of course not!” she hurriedly countered. “Actually I have to like this place. I also feel the seclusion and I appreciate being alone,” she said softly. 

“I want to be alone…” she added. “...but…” (Before she was able to continue, I already knew what she’s going to say so I manage to utter the exact words she’s about to say) 

“…But you’re the only person I want to be alone with,” we both finished. 

In delight of that instance, we both got up from resting and gazed to each other’s eyes, smiling. I kissed her on the forehead and immediately returned from leaning to each other’s side. This time I surrounded her with my arm so her face rests on my chest. I thought how much she could hear my heart beats at that moment. 

“There’s another thing I want to show you,” I started. 

“What’s it?” she wondered without looking at me as she’s still resting on my chest. 

I started leaning backward as I plan to lie; I assured that it wouldn’t hurt. She felt that our body was about to fall behind and she understood my intent. We’re now both lying. Yes! We’re lying on our neighbor’s rooftop. Her head was resting on my bicep, her arms enclosed my body, and my fingers started to caress her hair. I looked at her and found her staring heavily to the night sky.

“This is another thing I love about this place, stargazing, I know that you would love this sight,” I shared.

 “You never fail to amuse me. You definitely know what makes me happy,” she expressed at joy. 

She suddenly turned her face to me, we are now looking to each other faces. I could feel that something was about to happen. Our faces got closer and closer until our lips were only one inch away from each other. We both know what could have happened but someone shouted! My neighbor suddenly yelled out my name and angrily instructed us to get down. We hurriedly fixed ourselves and ran through the irons. We jumped down the wall to avoid being recognized by my enraged neighbor even I know she knew it was me. 

We ended up sharing laughter behind the wall.

---


7.23.15
-TBWS



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiwala

The Historical Origin and Cultural Implications of Bañamos Festival of Los Baños, Laguna

Pabula: Ang Dalawang Magkaibigang Daga

Emerging Filipino Indie Genre in the Philippine National Cinema

Pagsulat sa Filipino - Lakbay-Sanaysay

Torpe

Bar Boys (2017): A Movie Review

Alter 100 [8/12]

Wala ka pa sa realidad #01

Welcome to my Blog!