VALEDICTION: 2018

So for my valediction, I only prepared a page. One page. Since the last time I spoke here, it was 8 pages long. I would not do that again this time. So yes, just one page for tonight. But before I start my speech, let me thank the people who have been a part of this journey:

Thank you, my friends, my classmates, my teachers, and my family. Thank you for you have made me a better person. I hope I made you proud.

Thank you, Tr. Glo for providing this school. We owe you so much. I learned so well from you. Thank you for all the opportunities you have given me. 

To my mentors, thank you very much!

To Tr. Rachel, you're such a life changer and an eye-opener for me. I’m grateful for I have met you. And I'm going to say this with conviction, the school needs more teacher like you.

To Sir Myrold, I missed you. You are proof that in every successful student, there’s a great teacher behind.

To Sir SJ and Tr. Rizza, thank you for being there when I need you! I appreciate all the help.

To Tr. Justine, my alter ego and greatest adviser, I just want to tell everyone that you beautifully shaped me. You are one of the reasons why I made it so far.

To my subject teachers all throughout the Senior High School Sir Louise, Sir Lester, Sir Myrold, Sir Edmar, Sir Mar, Sir SJ, Sir Peejay, Tr. Ruth, Tr. Madz, Tr. Sarah, Tr. Justine, Tr. Krisha, Tr. Joevell, Tr. Joenna, Tr. Joeanne, Tr. Rachel, Tr. Dixie, Tr. Hannah and to other subject teachers of other strands, thank you for your understanding, patience, consideration, and support. THANK YOU FOR BELIEVING IN US. 

To my schoolmates, I hope you are still here. Thank you for your trust, respect, and compliance with my leadership and friendship.

To the canteen staff, Ate Edfa at Kuya Utoy – thank you for your kindness and service! Thank you too, Kuya Dodong!

To my family - Dad, thank you for the support. I'm sorry for being workaholic that I neglect my health. Mom, thank you for being strong, I'm sorry for all of my shortcomings. Brother, thank you for just being a Kuya, I'm sorry if I am not able to help you all the time. Sister (Mooks!), thank you for making me happy. I'm sorry if I cannot play with you every time you want a playmate.

To Joseph and Faith, I’m sorry for all the things I did and didn’t do. Know that all I ever wanted was the best for you.

To Hanna and Alina, my bizarre friends, I owe you so many things. Thank you so much! To Renz, Tin-Tin, thank you for coming! 

To Trio! Ryan and JD and Me, thank you for being a part of my journey. I'm sorry you have to witness my breakdowns. You two are for keeps. You made me human. You didn’t see me as other people do.

To my class, (you seem bored already. Tsk. Tsk. For the last time, Hep! Hep! SOAR HIGH! SENIOR HIGH! AHOO! AHOO! AHOO!) Thank you for the lessons. You all made me a better person. Since I cannot fully express everything I want to say in each one of you right now, I have made a personal letter which I will give after this speech.

To everyone who believes in me, thank you very much! 

Lastly, thank you God for this wonderful life!

Alright, now, let's start! (Hmm. Naka-isang page na ata ako dun ah. Don't worry. No joke. After this one page, I'm done.)

To formally make an introduction, let me greet our respectable guest, Alexey Rola Cahilig, our hardworking and dearest directress/principal, Mrs. Gloria N. Lontoc, JILS board of directors, our beloved parents, teachers, friends, schoolmates, and fellow graduates, good evening to all of you!

For my valediction or farewell speech, let me share the lessons I learned in my 18 years of existence. This is actually tough for me. How would you place all of your life lessons in just one whole page? But let me tell you that I usually get an impression that I am too matured for my age, to the point that I was advised to act my age and just enjoy my youth while I have it. Life is ironic, isn’t it? Anyways, I won’t lie with the lessons I am about to share for I have learned them my way:



In being a son, do things that would make your father and mother proud. Never do things that you would not wish your future children to do.  In being a sibling, choose them over anything. Do not leave your siblings behind – never. In being a parent, your children’s life is not yours to control, but only to guide and to shape.

In being a student, ranking only makes you feel better or worse about yourself; it’s your performance that really does matter. “Trophies and medals don’t make you a better person, habits do. Work on being better every day and you would become the person you see yourself being.” It’s better to struggle now than suffer later.

In being a leader, always think the best in people, only then you’ll know how to lead them. In being a president, be the mastermind of everything but always leverage the ability and skills of your people. In being a teacher, be ready to be selfless. There’s nothing more rewarding than knowing your students have learned from you.

In studying, self-discipline is crucial. Have the determination and will to invest in your education while you’re at it. In school, obey before you complain. Always think of the essence of schooling before losing interest to have a good future. Always invest in your attitude before knowledge. In school subjects, Math and Science will take you into places, but English will take you further.

In friendship, choose people with the same goal as you. “True friends know your weaknesses but show you your strengths.” (-William Arthur Ward)

In leadership, you cannot lead if you do not follow. Remember that a great leader was once a great follower. You eventually learn that you cannot really control people. You can only wish them good, it's only them who can wish what's the best for themselves.

In life, my dad taught me – life is what you make it. It all starts and ends with a choice. What you do and what you speak about other people reflects more on you than on them. In reputation, have the three I’s: Image, Impact, and Influence. Have a decent image, create a meaningful impact, and be a good influence on other people and to yourself as well. In happiness, it comes out within you, do not depend it on other people.

In relationships, my confidante taught me – leave when the pain of staying is greater than the pain of leaving. In love, you cannot give what you do not have. You should be able to love yourself first before learning how to love others.

In teaching, you cannot push anyone up the ladder unless they are willing to climb (-Andrew Carnegie). In working, Tr. Glo taught me – Kung gagawa ka rin lang, pagbutihan mo na.

In excellence, the problem with being excellent is you become indispensable. In achieving, just never give up. In failure, always take it as a motivation and a chance to assess oneself. Remember, first tries aren’t always successful. In succeeding, persistence is the key. There is no shortcut to success, we have to take it step by step. "It’s better to aim high and miss than to aim low and hit." (-Les Brown)

Lastly, in success, remember that there are 2 rules for success:
Number 1 – Never reveal everything you know. 

Number 2 –






And that would be all everyone. Good evening and thank you! 

I am ACE MEELAN M. BALBAREZ, signing off.  


ACE MEELAN M. BALBAREZ
With High Honors
Grade 12 Batch 2018





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiwala

The Historical Origin and Cultural Implications of Bañamos Festival of Los Baños, Laguna

Pabula: Ang Dalawang Magkaibigang Daga

Kalamidad Paghandaan; Gutom at Malnutrisyon Agapan

Pagsulat sa Filipino - Lakbay-Sanaysay

Bar Boys (2017): A Movie Review

Emerging Filipino Indie Genre in the Philippine National Cinema

Wala ka pa sa realidad #01

Torpe

To the girl who caught my attention,