Direk!

"Years from now, after I graduate I'll go back to my school and direct its plays," I told my Mom as we have our dinner.

The very next day I was called by our school principal, Tr. Glo, and told me this, "I want you to be the assistant director of Sir Mike." 

Sir Michael Medina is our resident director since the school started producing Disney's Musical Plays, and for this year's school play - he's going to direct Beauty and the Beast Jr. once more (as the school already did the same play ten years ago). 

Having heard my principal, my mind was like "That escalated quickly." I was flattered by the offer. All I had to do is say YES and take it, and so I did. I even managed to make an anecdote out of my last night's conversation with my Mom and shared it with Tr. Glo. 

This is really the start, I told myself. This should be the beginning. 
I've known Sir Mike since then and he has known me too. He had already asked me to be the choreographer for the previous plays but I wasn't that committed. I thought I should only focus on my acads and I wasn't really that good to actually teach, I supposed. 

He wouldn't ask me if he didn't trust me. He knew it and all I had to do is trust myself but I doubted my own capability. How foolish was I? 

I wouldn't wish to make the same mistake again so I trusted myself and readied to commit. 

I started working with Sir Mike and the faculty. I tried what I could to assist our director, even I was still adjusting and adapting during the initial rehearsals.  Of course, I've searched for the job description so I can fulfill the task given and satisfy the work expectation. It ain't easy, but I really liked the challenge. 

I retell what Sir Mike has told the cast, reteach what he has taught the dancers, polished the routines with the guidance and supervision of some teachers; supervised cast to exchange dialogues to improve retention, informed them about rehearsals schedule, provided a complete script-copy, associated with other production teams with specified jobs of their own, listed the master list for the props, got to work with the teachers, became the consultant of other working committees as I know firsthand details about the play, monitored mic traffic and coordinated with the production team. 

The job is overwhelming; the work is rewarding! 


I'd never regret taking the job and working with the actors (Ryan Reyes, Beast; Enja Mercado, Belle; Arend Vaethbruckner, Prince; Anthony Lubat, Gaston; Fjord Escobin, LeFou; Aldrin Melodillar, Maurice; Gadrian Flores, Cogsworth; Eize Banasihan, Lumiere; Rafaella Berso, Mrs. Potts; Riona Pulpulaan, Babbete; and all other casts, extras, and dancers), the teachers (especially Tr. Rizza, Tr. Marj, Tr. Justine, Sir SJ, Tr. Sarah, Tr. Rachel, and Sir Jhon), Eugen Quiroga, my trusted partner, and of course Sir Mike! 


I am grateful for I have learned a lot of things from Sir Mike - utilizing talents, maximizing potentials, working ethics, creativity, patience, convictions, virtues, and of course directing skills! 

I'm very thankful for Tr. Glo as she entrusted me the job and I'm so much grateful as I know that she's one of my believers. 


People are starting to call me, "Direk!" and I'm overjoyed as others acknowledge it. 
Let me express my heartfelt gratitude to all the people who believe in me, to every person who trusts my skills, to special individuals who serve as my inspiration, to my friends who never doubted me, and to my family for being supportive of my aspirations. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I couldn't have done this without you all. 

This is my passion, the start of my journey, and let's take it from here!  

11.25.17
-Your Future Director, Editor, and Writer...


---









Comments

  1. I told you, you can! Congratulations Ace! I am one of those happiest seeing you achieve every milestone towards your dream. Few more months and we have to say good bye but know that I will always believe in you. Great job direk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tr! Thank you for being a part of my journey! I will be forever grateful for the things you've imparted me. :)

      Delete
  2. You did a great job!
    When I first heard na magiging assistant director ka, sabi ko " Wow, magiging exciting ang play na ito." , and it is. Congratulations! I salute you for your leadership. Naging masaya ang Mic Trafficking natin kahit stressful! Again, congratulations! Excited to see you in your next plays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you Tr! Hehehe. That'll be memorable for me and I'm grateful that I've worked with two people whom I could easily work with. You made the work more comfortable, even it is my first time. That "hello" though. HAHAHAHAHA! Thank you so much for believing in me!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiwala

The Historical Origin and Cultural Implications of Bañamos Festival of Los Baños, Laguna

Pabula: Ang Dalawang Magkaibigang Daga

Emerging Filipino Indie Genre in the Philippine National Cinema

Pagsulat sa Filipino - Lakbay-Sanaysay

Bar Boys (2017): A Movie Review

Pagpapayaman sa Kultura at Wikang Filipino

Wala ka pa sa realidad #01

Alter 100 [8/12]

Torpe