Sid & Aya (Not a Love Story) (2018): A Movie Review



"Sid (Dingdong Dantes) is a guy who suffers from insomnia. Through the many lonely nights, he meets Aya (Anne Curtis). Who is she, really? And how will she change Sid’s life?"

I watched Sid & Aya: Not a Love Story during its first day in Cinemas (May 30, 2018) having hopes it would be a good movie, but it isn't - at least for me.

I won't include the summary of the story for somehow that's the catch, or so I thought. Sid's narration during the movie highly expresses the struggle he has to deal with...alone - until Aya came into his life. (THAT'S NOT A SPOILER BECAUSE THE TRAILER HAS ALREADY FED IT TO THE AUDIENCE!)
Black Swan - an unpredictable or unforeseen event, typically one with extreme consequences.
That's the theme of the story. SPOILER ALERT. And Aya is the black swan happened to Sid for which he needed in his life.
Events happened serendipitously until their emotions took over - for which always happens in reality.

The things that I didn't like about the movie itself mainly include the mood that becomes flat throughout the storytelling. I was probably not fully satisfied by the representation and supposed intensity of the character's emotion. Maybe it's the portrayal or the actors themselves. I know Anne Curtis is becoming a versatile actress while Dingdong Dantes is known actor for drama. However, I found myself looking for more emotional distress and appeal to feelings for only which they could have delivered.
Sid is conflicted; Aya is desperate. Until Sid became desperate (for longing for someone who changed his life) and Aya became conflicted (for engaging in something that wasn't in her plan, but still taking it out of desperation to accomplish her purpose).
Because the things that we love will eventually kill us. - Sid
Despite not liking the movie generally, I have to admit that I like the narrative. The script impressed me, aside from Sid's point of view, but also Aya's sweet and light jokes. I also have to mention its original soundtrack: 'Di Na Muli (Janine Tenoso), Heartbeats (Andrea Babierra, Jem Cubil) and 'Di Na Muli (Itchyworms) which truly gave the feels of such scenes. Lastly, its cinematography - a bit dark lightning as it reflects the feel of the movie, the slow drone shots that set the mood, and scopes that were perfectly limited.

So instead of giving it 2, I'm giving it 3 out of 5 ratings. Not to mention the side stories that tried to be relevant to the character development of the lead roles. Maybe the movie aimed for "less is more" emphasis which I'm trying to understand. But for ordinary moviegoers out there, they might not fully comprehend such event without a schema on certain scenarios because the movie isn't much revealing in terms of why did he think/act that way, how could she agree/disagree to it, and the likes. 
The story kept its substance by letting the characters decide for themselves, that's why it's unconventional. I may not have or have not understood it quite well why Sid, after everything his boss has done to help him, chose to break free; and why Aya, despite having the conditions seemed favorable for her and Sid, still decided to steer clear from what can be. 

Sid & Aya: Not a Love Story focused on not making their story about love but the regrets, realization, and reality of their lives. The movie tried turning a complicated story into a bitterly simple plot.

PS. After watching the movie, I proved that Aya is not Sid's imagination for she was real and human, and the movie hasn't hinted that she's imaginary (but can be possibly in the teaser-trailer hehehehe!).

"Hindi lahat ng may 'I Love You' ay love story. Hindi lahat ng 'I Love You' ay totoo."
Still, go to cinemas and watch it ~ such life lessons you could get! :) 

Comments

  1. reminded me of Toni in Last Night. haha She wasn't imaginary pero only Piolo can see her. Have you watch Pia and Gerald's? It started off probably because I feel like Pia tries so hard to be toni-ish when it comes to comedy or so I thought. But I must say that theirs has a good plot. watch it if you haven't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good-feel movie ung Last Night, seeing Tony and Piolo tandem once again (after Starting Over Again). I just watched Pia and Gerald's. Learning that it was Molina's film, that explains the acting style of Pia (See Bea, Tony, and Sarah G, who have established their mark - all have undergone Direk Cathy even multiple times; romcom and heavy drama ) Maybe Cathy made Pia to - in a way since she is amateur. But let's admit, that's a good one for a debut acting.

      I didn't expect Pia & Gerald's. I agree with you! It has really a good plot. Pero pagdating sa foreshadowing - I am so more impressed with Last Night's. I have to say, masyadong abrupt yung sa My Perfect You. Pero what a great plot twist indeed! Way to go!

      But the script of My Perfect You, it almost seemed not original. Parang patch/compiled lang (perks of being cinephile), or siguro, for me they lack substance and just settled. Frankly, nothing extraordinary except for this one, "Parang sinulid ang tulay, tinatahi niya ang magkakalayong lugar. At pangarap niyang maglagay ng tulay sa buong Pilipinas para walang magkakahiwalay."


      Then I remember Sid & Aya's epilogue. I now conclude that epilogues are used to give audience that "satisfaction", well I supposed that's its key purpose after all. Hahahaha

      The thing I dislike about our films, spoon-fed yung lessons/message ng story or ng character, like what Burn's sister did (played by Dimple Romana), she technically recited them. Hahahaha. My point is, Filipino audience is generally not yet critical enough that's why [demand-supply]. Kaya aliw ako sa mga taong nagpopost ng list of things they learned about a certain movie based on their own take.

      PS. Yung cinematography, sarap paglaruan yung mga bridge scenes nina Pia at Gerald. I like the name of "Burn".

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiwala

The Historical Origin and Cultural Implications of Bañamos Festival of Los Baños, Laguna

Pabula: Ang Dalawang Magkaibigang Daga

Emerging Filipino Indie Genre in the Philippine National Cinema

Pagsulat sa Filipino - Lakbay-Sanaysay

Torpe

Bar Boys (2017): A Movie Review

Alter 100 [8/12]

Wala ka pa sa realidad #01

Welcome to my Blog!