Bar Boys (2017): A Movie Review


One of my picks among Pista ng Pelikulang Pilipino (PPP) movie entries is Bar Boys with a synopsis of "The misadventures of three young men who try their luck in the college of law. As their friendship, families, relationships and convictions are brought to breaking point, they must keep their heads and emotions together as they prepare for the big day." I watched the movie with my friend with no particular expectation. Fortunately, having watched the film, I suddenly asked myself "how can it exceed my expectation if I didn't set any at all?" because it just happens that it exceeded my expectation as I don't honestly usually watch Filipino movies.

The theme of the movie is about the struggles of being a law student dealing with the challenges of studying and passing, dealing with college professors (who each have distinct personality) and their respective subjects, and dealing with the relationships one has in his family, friends, and significant others. The film wants to convey a meaningful message without being too deep itself, and I can say that it succeeded in its social responsibility to teach, to share social realities, and to evoke one's mindset.


Personally, as I enjoyed watching, I started to have fears of being a college student and dealing with life's ordeals. But I guess we all just have to deal with them - no matter how hard it is. 

Bar Boys mirrors the life of students who are pressured of his family, challenged by life's misfortune, and distressed from personal values and beliefs that may affect his whole life. The characters of the movie are the reflection of the people who are currently studying, and who were once a student - surviving and thriving. So the film does not only cater students as its primary audience as it also talks about family, friendship, and profession.

Bar Boys is a great film! I am not usually impressed by Filipino movies, but this film just impressed me. Another thing that I find remarkable is the depiction of friendship in reality. The film didn't fail to show how tough it can be to deal with friends, the pressure that comes with it, and the meaningful connection that a group of friends can possibly have.


Bar Boys is a barkada film, with touches of drama and humor. It is so inspiring that you won't regret watching it. I recommend this movie; I'm sure you're going to enjoy every scene!

Watch Bar Boys with your friends! Support Pelikulang Pilipino!

-TBWS
August 19, 2017

---

Here are my other PPP movie reviews:

Patay na si Hesus: A Review

100 Tula Para Kay Stella: A Stutterer's Review

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiwala

The Historical Origin and Cultural Implications of Bañamos Festival of Los Baños, Laguna

Pabula: Ang Dalawang Magkaibigang Daga

Emerging Filipino Indie Genre in the Philippine National Cinema

Pagpapayaman sa Kultura at Wikang Filipino

Pagsulat sa Filipino - Lakbay-Sanaysay

Wala ka pa sa realidad #01

Alter 100 [8/12]

Torpe