Patay na si Hesus (2016): A Review



I had an early screening of this movie in UPLB since I didn't want to miss it knowing that it is one of the entries in Pista ng Pelikulang Pilipino (PPP). To be honest, I got interested with the film initially because of its intriguing title. Jesus is Dead. However, after watching the movie trailer, I knew it would be different. It just happens that I got more interested having watched the trailer even it didn't already meet my expectation to talk about Faith and Religion (which I am greatly engrossed about). 

For some reason, I was excited. Is it because I'd be watching a Filipino film in the big screen once again after a long time of not patronizing it? I had hopes of not being disappointed and... the movie did not disappoint. 

"When Iyay, a single mother, learns that her estranged husband has died, she drags the entire family on a road trip from Cebu to Dumaguete to attend the funeral."  as its synopsis, Patay na si Hesus is a road-trip movie with full of humor and a few tearjerker scene (or at least for me). It successfully depicts different genuine facets of Filipino culture. The film shows what a Filipino family means, its natural humor and undying tradition. 

Tawa. Iyak. That's for sure. I had to contain my laughter even I almost could not. I commend how the film tries to convey our social realities in a comical way, and that is what I really like about the whole movie. But the most remarkable I could think of about the movie itself is its depiction of the essence of a Filipino family, especially its love that binds every family member. 

The movie not being in my vernacular language (Tagalog) made me more hooked upon learning that it was in Bisaya. I can say that I still appreciate the language and the manner how it is delivered by the characters. 

The screening in UPLB had an open forum, which I was surprised having witnessed one of the movie cast, Chai Fonacier (who played Jude/Judith Marie - daughter of Iyay, played by Jacklyn Jose) to start the discussion. One from the audience asked if all the punchlines are scripted, the actor then revealed that some are, while others were indeed spontaneously added by the actors themselves. Being disclosed, this movie deserves to be watched and enjoyed by many. 

Lastly, I believe that the screenplay played a major role as to why the movie (as I'm seeing lately that the film is doing good in cinemas) succeeded and provides this certain formula that audience would truly love and never forget. 

If you're reading this, I personally recommend this movie! It's a must-watch. Go now to cinemas before PPP ends! Let's support Pelikulang Pilipino! 

-TBWS 
August 20, 2017

---

Here are my other PPP movie reviews:









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiwala

The Historical Origin and Cultural Implications of Bañamos Festival of Los Baños, Laguna

Pabula: Ang Dalawang Magkaibigang Daga

Emerging Filipino Indie Genre in the Philippine National Cinema

Pagsulat sa Filipino - Lakbay-Sanaysay

Torpe

Bar Boys (2017): A Movie Review

Wala ka pa sa realidad #01

Alter 100 [8/12]

Kalamidad Paghandaan; Gutom at Malnutrisyon Agapan