Tricycle

I placed the box of groceries behind the tricycle and sat behind the tricycle driver since two passengers were already inside.  An old lady approached the vehicle and I offered my seat behind the tricycle driver without hesitation. “It is the softer seat,” I thought. So as decent as I am, I moved from the comfy seat to the steel one and said, “Dito nalang po kayo,” as I offered the space. “Napakabuting Ginoo naman. Pagpalain ka ng Diyos,” she spoke. It’s the least of my expectation to have a sudden feedback as I don’t usually get any response every time I offer the comfy seat. I then found myself smiling at joy. A part of it was because someone knows how to appreciate, and the other part was because of the overwhelming feeling I felt when she uses Ginoo to address me. I am not used to that; I was never addressed so highly like that, plus the idea that people rarely use that.

The tricycle went off and I started to feel the uneasiness of my seat (just like what everyone feels on a bad form of steel), but I actually didn’t mind at all; I guess I’m used to it and it’s worth the sacrifice. “Saan ka nag-aaral, Ginoo?” the old lady asked. “Sa Joy in Learning School po,” I answered shortly“Ah high school palang ang ginoo,” she thought to herself right after she heard the school name. I realized that she knows my school as it doesn’t offer college education, only elementary and high school. I guess she thought that I’m older so I clarified myself, “Grade 11 na po ako.” She was enlightened when she learned that my school offers Senior High School. This also confirmed that she is indeed familiar with my school. “Bale, kami po yung first batch,” I added. “Tama, sa LSPU noong isang taon lang din nagbukas ng Grade 11.” I thought that would change her persona and stop her from calling me “Ginoo” as she learned that I am younger than I supposed she thought, but I was wrong. “Mapalad ang magulang mo Ginoo, dahil may anak sila na tulad mo.” she expressed. This put another smile in my face. I think I was speechless as I heard that. “Panganay ka?” she asked shortly; “Pangalwa po,” I replied. 

I wanted to continue and have a discourse, but I didn’t know how to initiate. I wanted to ask where she has been or where she lives. I wanted to ask some personal questions to somehow know her. I wanted to take the opportunity to seek an elderly advice. But before I had the chance, the old lady decided to move inside as the two passengers got off.  

“Sa tabi lang po, Kuya,” I requested. I got off and carried my box. “Sige po, paalam po,” I tried saying goodbye. Before I even got to open our gate, she turned to me and asked, “Balbarez ka ba?” as she revolves her eyes to our residence. I was puzzled and just answered, “Opo, Balbarez po.” “Kaninong anak ka?” “Kay Alex Balbarez po,” I responded. “Ako si Miss Pelegrina,” and the tricycle went off.


I got inside overwhelmed as I was. I immediately reached to my father and asked, “Di, kilala mo si Miss Pelegrina?” and I learned that my father knew her and in fact she was his teacher back then. 




- TBWS
February 19, 2017




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiwala

The Historical Origin and Cultural Implications of Bañamos Festival of Los Baños, Laguna

Pabula: Ang Dalawang Magkaibigang Daga

Emerging Filipino Indie Genre in the Philippine National Cinema

Pagsulat sa Filipino - Lakbay-Sanaysay

Torpe

Bar Boys (2017): A Movie Review

Pagpapayaman sa Kultura at Wikang Filipino

Alter 100 [8/12]

Wala ka pa sa realidad #01